Paternity matters are also referred to as parentage cases. It is wise for couples to establish paternity early in a child's life if the biological parents are not married or there is a valid domestic partnership. There are two main ways to establish parentage when a child's parents are not married: The mother or father can sign a voluntary declaration of paternity, or the court can order proof of genetic (DNA) testing. Once paternity is established, the court can make orders for child custody, child visitation, child support and a name change (if necessary).

Contact A Paternity Attorney

For further information or to discuss your child custody issues, please contact our office to schedule a free confidential consultation with an experienced child custody and visitation attorney. Contact us online or call 925-344-5050 locally or 800-708-3761 toll free.